Does KDE do offline software updates?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:33:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-03-24 at 15:38 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 12:45:26 +0000, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > I don't use Gnome so my understanding of this is based only on a literal
> > reading. It appears to say that packages are updated with a tool which
> > among other things causes two reboots. Obviously I know that the user
> > might just employ yum as I do myself (on KDE) but the description of the
> > GUI tool is quite specific. Which is why I asked if that's what really
> > happens. Call it a rhetorical question.
>
> You sound as if you're surprised that an update tool applies offline
> updates with the help of rebooting.

The way the description was phrased is not specifically limited to
offline updates (they are only mentioned in the message Subject), but
rather makes it sound as if this was how *all* updating is normally done
under Gnome. I still don't know if that's the case or not. Makes it
sound like Windows.

> It has never been entirely safe to update/upgrade with Yum. Simply
> because Yum does not take any precautions, such as making sure the
> user doesn't use a program while upgrading it, or killing and
> restarting services in a way it doesn't harm the runtime environment.
> Offline updates remove some of the pitfalls.

Of course. Every time I use yum I check (using needs-restarting) to see
what has to be done. However quite frequently I can update packages
without restarting anything, so forcing a restart would be overkill. But
as I say, I still don't know of that is what is being said.

poc