Does KDE do offline software updates?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:36:08 UTC 2015

On 25 March 2015 at 04:22, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Jeez, but that sounds such a crap encumbrance.  Even just a log out and
> log back in again is a severe nuisance.  It's beginning to sound a lot
> like Windows; built for morons, by morons.

Michael is right. Updating online works 99.8% of the time. The 0.1%
time it will corrupt random bits of your file-system, and 0.1% of the
time it will leave you vulnerable to the security issue you thought
you just "fixed". The only way to fix this so that online updates are
safe is to redesign the centralised shared package model we use for
distributing applications. The workaround is to use offline updates.
This moron has spent about 10 years working on the issue.

Richard