gdm -- failure - or corrupted - Re: fedora 21 -- 2 different gpu --bmc/ipmi ASPEED -- Nvidia GTX760-- how to select primary

Kevin Abbey kevin.abbey at rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 25 14:12:42 UTC 2015

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for the note.  In the future I'll attempt what you wrote; to
remove a package rather than reinstall.  I needed to find a solution and
get the systems to the users so I simply used the kdm. I discovered with
kdm that the main display uses #2 (ctrl-alt-F2) and the other consoles
become inaccessible to the local system display.  These text consoles
are instead available to the iKVM of the bmc controller.  Yet in the
iKVM the main display is not viewable (I think because it uses the PCIe
vga slot.).  Thus after opening the iKVM I need to use the soft
keyboard, type ctrl-alt-F3 and will then see the text console and can
use the keyboard.  The affects the main display directly which is alos
switched but inaccessible to the desktop display.  The usability is not
ideal but it partially works.  Maybe this is the only option.  I had the
expectation that the main display and consoles could be available in
both iKVM and desktop display but this may not be possible since there
are two gpus involved.  I'm interested to understand this functionality
in more detail if anyone can explain.  Please forward to a developer if
you know who may understand.

Since I did not find any clear documentation on gdm and do not have any
more time to troubleshoot further my only hope is that Supermicro,
ASPEED and gdm or fedora developers could find a solution.

Thanks again,
Kevin

For reference, the following are removed if gdm is removed.

Dependencies Resolved

====================================================================================================
  Package                            Arch Version
Repository                  Size
====================================================================================================
Removing:
  gdm                                x86_64 1:3.10.0.1-1.fc20
installed                  4.0 M
Removing for dependencies:
  gdm-libs                           x86_64 1:3.10.0.1-1.fc20
installed                   36 k
  gnome-initial-setup                x86_64 3.10.1.1-4.fc20
installed                  1.8 M
  gnome-shell                        x86_64 3.10.4-9.fc20
@fedora20-x86_64-updates   5.8 M
  gnome-shell-extension-common       noarch 3.10.1-1.fc20
installed                  371 k
  gnome-shell-extension-user-theme   noarch 3.10.1-1.fc20
installed                  7.0 k
  gnome-tweak-tool                   noarch 3.10.1-2.fc20
installed                  694 k
  pulseaudio-gdm-hooks               x86_64 5.0-25.fc20
@fedora20-x86_64-updates   354

Transaction Summary
Remove  1 Package (+7 Dependent packages)