checkboxes in f21 gnome apps

David A. De Graaf dad at datix.us
Thu Mar 26 17:01:42 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 10:47:25PM -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> On 03/22/2015 02:47 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 04:41:34PM -0600, Stuart McGraw wrote:
> >>I just installed Fedora-21 and xfce.  Install was from
> >>the regular live x64 download, not the xfce spin.
> >>
> >>I have an odd problem with checkboxes in gui dialogs:
> >>they don't show any checkmarks.  If I click on a
> >>checkbox, a checkmark will appear for a fraction of
> >>a second then disappear.  From the program's behavior
> >>I can tell that the setting got set but it is obviously
> >>difficult if one can not see which boxes are checked
> >>in a dialog and which aren't.
> >>
> >>This problem seems to be limited to Gnome apps (the ones
> >>with the new -- at least to someone coming from F15 --
> >>and really unpleasant UI design).  For example, brasero
> >>exhibits the effect but k3b doesn't.
> >>
> >>Does this problem ring a bell with anyone?
> >
> >Yes, I had this problem today - with kvm, or perhaps virt-manager.
> >I was running a virtual instance of WindowsXP, and wanted to activate
> >the USB port to talk with a TomTom GPS device.  When I clicked on the
> >appropriate box, a check appeared, then disappeared.
> >The USB port was, in fact, activated, but that behaviour is quite
> >unsatisfactory.
> >
> >I, too, am running F21 and Xfce4.  I studiously avoid Gnome.
>
> After considerable playing around I discovered that the missing
> checkmark effect occurs on whenever an xfce* style is selected
> in app-menu -> settings -> appearance.

Wow!  I admire your persistence and perspicacity in tracking this
down.  I confirm it.  I was using the xfce-curve style; now I'm not.
The checkmarks are now correctly shown.

I do hope you'll report this properly.  No one else will ever
rediscover the problem.

--
        David A. De Graaf    DATIX, Inc.    Hendersonville, NC
        dad at datix.us         www.datix.us

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
	-- The Dalai Lama