Handling and resolving 'dependency' which has been custom compiled

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:00:26 UTC 2015

Hi all,

What is the best way in Fedora to handle the following situation?

- Package X depends on package Y
- Package Y is actually installed through custom compiling it (in $HOME/bin)
- Doing:

yum install X

will want to install Y

Specifically in my case X is kdenlive and Y is ffmpeg.

I compiled ffmpeg manually to have jack audio [1] support by following
the guide on the ffmpeg website [2]. This means ffmpeg is in
~/bin/ffmpeg (also in my PATH). Before doing this I removed (with yum)
ffmpeg. Now if I try to:

yum install kdenlive

it will want to install ffmpeg.

Any suggestions, ideas, pointers are welcome.

Thanks
Lorenzo.

[1] http://www.jackaudio.org/ (ffmpeg will add jack support if it finds
the jack development files)