Handling and resolving 'dependency' which has been custom compiled

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 09:25:00 UTC 2015

On 28/03/15 01:34, Kevin Cummings wrote:
> On 03/27/2015 06:00 PM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

[...]
>> I compiled ffmpeg manually to have jack audio [1] support by following
>> the guide on the ffmpeg website [2]. This means ffmpeg is in
>> ~/bin/ffmpeg (also in my PATH). Before doing this I removed (with yum)
>> ffmpeg. Now if I try to:
>>
>> yum install kdenlive
>>
>> it will want to install ffmpeg.
>>
>> Any suggestions, ideas, pointers are welcome.

On 27/03/15 23:24, Rahul Sundaram wrote:> Hi

 > Try
 >
 > https://github.com/larsks/fakeprovide/blob/master/fakeprovide

Thanks Rahul, fakeprovide did the trick.

 > Also look at why RPM Fusion ffmpeg doesn't this support and file a
 > bug
 > report if necessary

I guess jack support is a bit of a nichie/corner case, but maybe could
be filed as a request.

On 28/03/15 01:34, Kevin Cummings wrote:

> Download the srpm for Y.  Substitute your configuration/code/options for
> the srpm's versions.  Build a new, local version of the RPM.  Use your
> RPM instead of the one in the repos.  Make sure that your version is
> always > the versions in the repos.  (ie, whenever a new version hits
> the repos, update/build your version again.)

Thanks Kevin, I guess that would be a more canonical way of doing it. As
soon as I have the time (TM) I'll look into it.

Lorenzo.