will denyhosts work with journald (without rsyslogd)?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 30 12:45:08 UTC 2015

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 07:26:08PM +0200, poma wrote:
> > largely because there's no explicit documentation on what the default
> > configuration is on install. You have to read the config files and
> > figure it out from the man pages, which suffer from the same fault as
> > many such pages, i.e. they are written for people who already know how
> > it all works and just need a reminder. One example: the term 'jail' is
> > used without ever being defined, and in a way inconsistent with other
> > uses in Linux such as 'root jail'.
> > In the end I just had to add a simple jail.local file, but it took a
> > while to discover that.
> > Denyhosts was much easier IIRC.
> Once you're done, make the instructions in the form of a examples,
> put it in a patch and send upstream. If upstream doesn't pull propose
> to downstream. If downstream doesn't pull, make a note here on the
> list.

Yeah, this would be really helpful. Or even a blog post, or something
on Ask Fedora or Unix & Linux Stackexchange. Another suggestion would
be to file a Fedora bug to include a simple "README.fedora" explaining
the default config as shipped + a simple quickstart.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>