Most likely OT: rsync to cifs mount

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon Mar 30 16:29:07 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am at my wits end with this, so I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any thoughts. The only connection with F21 (updated in all installed components) is that everything is on a F21 machine.

So, I have a cifs share mounted onto /mnt/space using the usual mount.cifs option with sec=ntlmv2.

I wanted to copy the following directory (kmeans) onto /mnt/space -- because I wanted to preserve permissions and structure, I tried rsync:

rsync -avSz --delete --progress kmeans/. /mnt/space/kmnsinit

So here is the problem:

The original directory has size:

% du -sh kmeans
156G	kmeans

But the copying has continued on and on with no sign of ending (and we are at 378GB).

% du -sh kmnsinit
378G kmnsinit

I also tried without the . after the kmeans/ in the rsync command (though not sure why it would matter) but to no avail. (Same story, and note that it is not ending at 378G but going on, and chances are will go on for some more.)

Is it possible that since all things Windoze are bad, the cifs puts stuff all over the place and represents large files differently. Is it possible to however make it behave?

Does anyone have an explanation and solution for the above? I apologize again for the largely OT nature of this post.

Many thanks and best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.