SD card programing -

Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Fri May 1 14:40:37 UTC 2015

On 29/04/15 22:05, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 04/29/2015 07:00 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Bob, buy a MicroSD card that comes with the adapter to convert it to
>> a normal SD card and get that SD<---->USB dongle.
>>
>> 1. Plug the MicroSD card into its adapter.
>>
>> 2. Plug the SD card adapter (with MicroSD card in it) into the USB
>> dongle.
>>
>> 3. Plug the dongle into your desktop computer and note which device the
>> SD card shows up as (probably /dev/sdb, but have a look at the output
>> of dmesg to be sure).
>>
>> 4. Download the ISO that you want.
>>
>> 5. As root, "dd if=name-of-iso-file.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M" (assuming the
>> SD card shows up as /dev/sdb...change as needed)
>>
>> 6. When dd ends, unplug the USB dongle, pull out the SD card adapter,
>> pull the MicroSD from the adapter, stick it in your RPi and power up the
>> RPi.
>>
>> 7. Voila!
.
.

Ok, I give up, what do I do next?

I have a card reader with a GE brand name on it

[root at box10 ~]# lsusb

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 058f:6362 Alcor Micro Corp. Flash Card Reader/Writer

And I see the following for sdd  through sdg -

[root at box10 ~]# ll /dev/sdd
brw-rw----. 1 root disk 8, 48 May  1 10:10 /dev/sdd

Which I imagine relate to receptacles on the device. First I have no
idea which /dev/sdx is the one the micro-SD in adapter is plugged into
or how to identify it? Also I am not confident that the SD device is
even being recognized?

Any help appreciated,

Bob

--