Best web content management system for unsophisticated end-users?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sun May 3 10:11:03 UTC 2015

On 03/05/15 19:24, Peter Boy wrote:
>> Am 02.05.2015 um 21:01 schrieb Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com>:

>> I am trying to help a buddy set up a simple web site for a small
>> landscaping business. I'm going to run it on a Fedora 21 VM on Digital
>> Ocean (I love them, by the way).
>>
>> I will set up the OS and software, and I'm a relatively savvy
>> sysadmin, but he's not an IT guy at all. I'd like to make sure it's
>> dead-bang easy for him to upload pictures and the like when his
>> company finishes a new project.
>>
>> Does anyone have a favorite CMS that is really easy for users?
>>

> You may have a look at http://www.cmsgarden.org which is a cooperation of various open source content management systems.
>
> Someone mentioned WordPress, it is not really a content management system but a blog system. There is a tendency that each system claims to be suitable (and capable) for everything. It is as true as the claim a formula 1 car is suitable for your weekend family shopping.
>
> Unless you have a good IT support you may avoid php based systems for security reasons. Some systems (e.g. Drupal) are re-programming the whole bunch a comply to a security aware architecture but most use a programming architecture of the last century.
>
> I suppose the intended site will we quite small (e.g. less than about 100 pages), doesn’t need a history, is just modestly updated and managed by quite a few authors. You may choose djangoCMS (easier) or phone (more functions) (both Python). For a really big site with a lot of daily updates and a bunch of authors you may choose one of the  Enterprise ready systems (OpenCMS or ScientificCMS).
>

> Best
> Peter

I do agree with Peter's comments above, and would avoid wordpress. I
would add that Drupal is also really just a blog system. Anything PHP is
last century even though they claim OOP capability, it's still a pain.
If one uses a shared server then I find options are severely limited.
Most shared servers that I have asked, stick to php, why, well there are
a plethora of excuses.
You can set up a beautiful and simple CMS using Ruby on Rails quite
quickly but are forced to use Heroku or pay through the nose for other
servers.
I cannot use Ruby (rails), Python (django or phone) or others because
the UberGlobal/ shared server will not update Python 1.8 and will not
install ruby gems.
Cheers
roger.