F21: why Fedora still has not alternative init?

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Sun May 3 21:57:57 UTC 2015

On 05/03/2015 05:04 AM, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> - (bigger harm) Why hasn't Fedora alternative (upstart/openrc) init?
> When systemd presents itself as compatible with sysvinit, then IMO
> having alternative init in Fedora should not be too big problem.

Systemd is backward-compatible with SysV init scripts, but other init
systems are not forward-compatible with systemd unit files.  If Fedora
were to support an alternate init system, it would have to ship both
SysV init scripts and unit files with all of its daemons. Then the
developers would have to sort out how to be both a) backward compatible
with SysV and b) ignore the SysV init scripts in favor of unit files
when systemd is in use.  Bugs in daemons might show up under only its
unit file or only its init script, which would increase the complexity
of handling bug reports.  So, complexity is one of the reasons that
there's not an alternative init system.

Another one is that systemd enables a handful of Linux features that
other init systems don't (e.g. cgroups).  Any package that relies on the
use of those features might be broken on another init system. Or it
might simply behave in a way other than the documentation suggests,
which would lead to bug reports that are associated with the lesser init
systems.

> - (smaller harm) Why hasn't systemd option to run without journald?
> ...Why then in my system must run journald daemon, quite useless,
> occupying 2.5+ MB of memory?

I tend to think that's a better question.  2.5M of memory is trivial,
but I have systems where the RSS of systemd-journald is 30M+  The very
high variability of the memory size for that process makes me worry
about memory leaks.