/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db perms

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 3 23:47:18 UTC 2015

On 05/03/2015 05:25 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 05/04/15 07:14, jd1008 wrote:
>> As unprivileged user, I run locate <filename>
>> and get
>> $ locate file_3.mp3
>> locate: can not open `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db': Permission denied
>>
>> I always end up running sudo to change the perms so unpriv'ed
>> users can run locate.
>>
>> What command should I run so the mlocate.db file is readable
>> by unpriv'ed users?
>>
> The "better" question is, does this match your system?
>
> [egreshko at meimei ~]$ ll /bin/locate
> -rwx--s--x. 1 root slocate 40528 Aug 18  2014 /bin/locate
I distrust suid programs.
I find it strange that a security minded system needs an suid
program to do something as simple as locate a file.

So, I have removed the suid perm from it.

So, how do I set it so that people can find files?

I am willing to risk users finding a specific file than risking
finding a hole in the suid file/process and taking advantage of it.