grub2

Paul Cartwright pbcartwright at gmail.com
Mon May 4 11:19:52 UTC 2015

mmm, well if it has already been installed , why would you ever have to
run grub-2-install again?? all you would have to do is modify the
grub.cfg whenever you add a new kernel.. I guess the only way to test
would be to add/remove a kernel, then JUST run grub2-mkconfig, reboot &
see if the changes were updated..
or am I missing the point..

> Hello,
>
> In my opinion, it odes not matter.
> after grub-install /dev/sda
> grub knows that it has to read the file
> /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> Then you can change it, it will use the chnaged file.
> There is no copy of the copy in /dev/sdx

>  Patrick DUPRÉ                                 | | email: pdupre at gmx.com
>  Laboratoire de Physico-Chimie de l'Atmosphère | |
>  Université du Littoral-Côte d'Opale           | |
>  Tel.  (33)-(0)3 28 23 76 12                   | | Fax: 03 28 65 82 44
>  189A, avenue Maurice Schumann                 | | 59140 Dunkerque, France
>

>> Sent: Monday, May 04, 2015 at 11:07 AM
>> From: "Klaus-Peter Schrage" <kpschrage at gmx.de>
>> To: users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>> Subject: Re: grub2

>>> no, you run the mkconfig FIRST, then install it in /dev/sda ..
>>>

>> I am a bit stumbled: I always thought that it is a good idea to install
>> a feature before configuring it ... Following Fedora's Grub2
>> documentation, I did it this way for quite a long time whenever I needed
>> to update my grub configuration:
>> "The configuration format has evolved over time, and a new configuration
>> file might be slightly incompatible with the old bootloader. It is thus
>> often/always a good idea to run grub2-install before grub2-mkconfig for
>> some reason is run."
>> But, I admit, in most situations the order of the two command may not
>> matter.
>> --

Paul Cartwright