SV: Re: F21: why Fedora still has not alternative init?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 4 13:17:31 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 01:48:57AM +0200, Frantisek Hanzlik wrote:
> Hmm, I guess You want advice me, to bought some strictly limited (maybe
> commercial) OS - and then shut up and be satisfied with I have. But this
> fortunately is not Linux case...

Fundamentally, if you want something to be different in Linux — and in
Fedora — you absolutely can do it. However, you can't really tell other
people that _they_ ought to do a thing. Or rather, you can, but unless
you can convince them that there's value in doing the work, you won't
get anywhere with that. So, while "everyone is happy with systemd" is
clearly a joke, there's really a kernel of truth — it works well enough
and has enough virtues that no one has seriously invested the work into
building something different. If that someone is you, go for it. Until
then, systemd is what we have.

And, as I've noted before, going in circles complaining about it is
off-topic here. If you're serious about working on packaging and
integrating an alternative init system, the devel list is the place for
you. If you're interested in getting or providing advice on working
with Fedora as it is, this list is great. (For example, on writing
systemd unit files for the services you want to manage.)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>