F21: why Fedora still has not alternative init?

Antonio Olivares wingators at inbox.com
Tue May 5 13:24:23 UTC 2015

>> SysV init scripts are here for ages
>
> They were large, inconsistent, and burdensome to maintain.  The people
> who maintained them decided that there was a better option.
>
> If you are willing to maintain them, then you can do the work to provide
> an alternate init system.
>
> If you're not doing the work, then at some point you have to trust that
> the people who are doing the work know better than you do.
>
>> We have lot of alternatives in Linux system (several desktop WMs etc)
>> already, alternative init is in this case (IMO) just small piece of all
>> system SW.
>
> init is a small piece of code, yes.  But it's not just code, it's an
> interface.  Lots of programs interface with systemd.  If you want an
> alternative, you have to address all of those dependencies.

Even on Distrowatch for a good while, systemd has encouraged comments both + and -.
Now there is a new alternative to systemd
see RancherOS

http://rancher.com/rancher-os/

``Eliminates need for complex init systems

RancherOS eliminates the need for complex init systems like systemd. Systemd and Docker don’t work well together as they both attempt to manage control groups. Using a simple configuration file, administrators can easily configure system services as Docker containers.''

I am actually surprised and puzzled by this!  I thought Fedora was bleeding edge* and was the pioneer of new technologies*  but now someone else is leading the init* technologies.  Yes there was upstart by ubuntu, there is uslessD, and other non systemd software out there but these guys they may have a mission*

Debian--> Devuan
Fedora --> Fedoruan?

Hope no one is offended.  I am just watching on the sidelines, but I do see Fedora losing ground, Debian also loosing longtime users because of init* technologies getting in users' ways.

Best Regards,

Antonio