F21: why Fedora still has not alternative init?

Antonio Olivares wingators at inbox.com
Tue May 5 18:45:09 UTC 2015

	Now there is a new alternative to systemd
 see RancherOS
I am actually surprised and puzzled by this!  I thought Fedora was bleeding edge* and was the pioneer of new technologies*  but now someone else is leading the init* technologies.

I don't see how.  It is not a new technology.  Running docker daemon as pid 1 is a pretty specialized thing to do and if the goal is to run containers, Fedora is pushing Project Atomic in that space.

http://www.projectatomic.io [http://www.projectatomic.io]

Rahul

I did not know about this.  This is new stuff.  We actually do not know of many things that are happening.  We(The community does not know about many things that are happening); with regards to services, I still miss the old # chkconfig --list # chkconfig service off; etc.

One question *may not be systemd related*, how come fedora after startup has 300+ services running in the background?  How many of these services* are not needed?  Does it depend on which desktop one runs?  How can we bring this count down?   Maybe Tom H., has already answered this? and it flew past me?

I see this on a Fedora 20 machine and I scratch my head, I wanted to ask before but did not have the nerve to ask,  I see this on other linux boxes and wonder how can I turn off stuff that I donț need/use even if it is with systemd new commands or syntax?

I see that with system Administrators and for persons with years and years of experience, systemd is a pain, but for the casual user they may have gotten used to it, or left to another systemd free distro.  Reminds me of one quote in Mathematics by John Von Neuman ``Young man, in mathematics you don't understand things. You just get used to them.'' My best guess that systemd would be in that category.

Thank you for your input

Best Regards,

Antonio