failed systemctl services?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed May 6 11:07:59 UTC 2015

Date sent:      	Wed, 6 May 2015 11:52:44 +0200
From:           	Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com>
To:             	users at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject:        	Re: failed systemctl services?
Send reply to:  	Community support for Fedora users
<users at lists.fedoraproject.org>

<mailto:users-request at lists.fedoraproject.org?subject=subscribe>

> On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 04:09:32PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Mon, May 04, 2015 at 12:48:46PM -0700, stan wrote:
> > > Those were interesting reads.  It seems the infrastructure is in place
> > > to deal with the problem of service failure, but operational inertia is
> > > slowing adoption.  In other words, just a normal human system.  :-)
> > > The one thing I didn't see addressed was the comment requesting some
> > > notification if a service became a chronic (ab)user of the restart
> > > feature, so remedial action could be taken or requested.
> >
> > Well, it's logged.... but, yeah. In general, we don't have a standard,
> > integrated monitoring/alerting service for Fedora, except for desktop
> > notifications, which aren't ideal for many cases. (Like, basically
> > anything but a single-user desktop.) Working on fixing this would be an
> > interesting project — maybe under Fedora Server...
>
> Well, system mail daemon did that job pretty well.

For a test, I made a little script fixsystemctl in /etc/cron.hourly

chksystemctl=`systemctl --state=failed | grep failed | cut -f 2 -d\  `
if [ -n "$chksystemctl" ] ; then
	date >>/var/log/chksystemctl
        echo $chksystemctl >>/var/log/chksystemctl
	systemctl restart $chksystemctl
fi

Been running it on 20 machines for about 24 hours, and generally each
machine has a couple of items in the file, but a few still had the file empty.

> --
> Suvayu

> --

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     29019923.147768   |   SETI        51036191.422589
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    59904806.509700