partitioning new machine

birger birger at birger.sh
Wed May 6 15:02:15 UTC 2015

With btrfs you create subvolumes within the same master volume.
The default is to have separate subvolumes for / and /home.

When doing a new install you can create a new / with a new subvolume
name within the same btrfs file system. rootfs-22 instead of just
root for example. That way you can mount your old / as a subdirectory
while moving over all your config to the new /, and you can keep
the same /home. When you are done, delete the old / subvolume
and you get your space back without any repartitioning.

look at the subvol=XXX in /etc/fstab

If you want to back up and restore individual subvolumes, look at the
btrfs send and btrfs receive commands.