grub2 boot failure when adding disks

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 17:52:58 UTC 2015

On Thu, 07 May 2015 13:42:01 -0400
Alex Regan wrote:

> Thanks for any ideas.

I also had big problems when trying to boot after adding a
new raid (which shouldn't have been involved in the boot
process at all). I never figured out exactly what the
problem was for sure, but at some point I booted the
system on a live CD, chrooted into the actual root,
and did a yum update which installed (among other things)
a new kernel, and I was able to boot OK after that.

Either the initramfs was missing a module it needed
to talk to the raid, or maybe the grub.cfg was missing
a load of a module it needed. Not sure which, but the
installing of a new kernel fixed whatever it was.