Yum and partial downloads.

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Fri May 8 06:24:46 UTC 2015

On 05/07/2015 11:03 PM, Robin Laing wrote:
> On 2015-04-23 08:27, stan wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Apr 2015 23:38:35 -0600
>> Robin Laing <MeSat at TelusPlanet.net> wrote:
>>
>>> In one case, the file was at 99% complete when it stopped.  Restarted
>>> on a different mirror at 0%
>>>
>>> Due to firewall rules there is bandwidth management and it allows
>>> downloads to start at a high speed only to slow down at 25MB.
>>
>> You could game the bandwidth management with wget or curl, using their
>> continuation capability.  When the throttling starts, stop the program,
>> wait a few seconds, and then restart with the continuation option.
>> That way, you download the large file in several 25 MB chunks at high
>> speed. Only useful for occasional large files, not in general, though
>> you could script it.  Put the downloaded file in the local yum
>> repository (under /var/yum somewhere) where yum will find it when it
>> tries to update, or install it directly using the -C option.
>>
>>> The Question.
>>>
>>> The network admin asked if Fedora was like Ubuntu that will continue
>>> downloading where it left off?  I stated I doubted it as the display
>>> kept going back to zero
>>
>> This has been my experience as well.  Internally, I think yum uses
>> python-urlgrabber to fetch the packages, and it seems to have no
>> memory of past attempts.
>>
>> There is probably a reason this behavior was adopted, but I don't know
>> it.
>>
>> You might be able to use the throttle and bandwidth options to adjust
>> for your bandwidth management.  See man yum.conf.
>>

> Thank you.
>
> I have started to look at the options.
>
> Robin

Robin,

if changing man.conf does not work, as Stan recommends, another
option is to pull the rpm and install locally.

if you use mozilla firefox to pull file, it's downloader can be
paused and restarted if you have need, and will resume a download
if download is broken.

i imagine there are other download programs with ability to resume
or continue a broken download.

having read your bug report, i wonder if your sysadmin is not an
"oos head" with his concern for getting malware. ((GBWG))

--

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.