Biting the bullet?

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon May 11 10:32:46 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 16:08 +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
> I am currently running Fedora 17.  Which is of course antediluvian.
> But everything I have seen on this list with respect to upgrading
> terrifies me.  Disasters seem to lurk everywhere and I haven't the
> skills to cope with disasters.  Nor do I have access to any support in
> respect of Fedora.

Not to be snarky, but if upgrading terrifies you then perhaps Fedora is
not the right distro for your needs. Regular updating is part of the
Fedora mindset. The system is designed to be updated at least once a
year. You should be wary of the consequences of *not* updating,
especially in regard to security.

Having said that, note that the reports of disasters are in a sense
self-selecting. People complain when they have problems, but mostly keep
quiet when they don't (there are exceptions of course). Personally I've
not had any significant issues updating Fedora, which I do literally on
a daily basis for patches, and within a week or two of each new release
coming out.

poc