Biting the bullet?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Mon May 11 12:57:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-11 12:43, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> M. Fioretti wrote:
>
>> Why not backup everything,
>> then completely ERASE the old installation, installing over it
>> the current version from SCRATCH, then configure it to work as you
>> need?
>>
>> Seriously. Wouldn't it be a much more reliable path, and consume much
>> less time in the end?
>
> Briefly, No.

Hi Timothy,

By what you write later, I don't think a full "no" is correct. Your
solution,
which I approve and sometimes do myself, is perfectly compatible with
mine,
if not the same thing in practice.

What I REALLY wanted to say in my first email (and yes, I should have
said it
better!) is that upgrades can be much more painful and slow than
installing
from scratch and re-configuring the resulting new environment.
Regardless of
whether the new install is done on the same disk/partition as the old
one
(i.e actually erasing it, as I wrote) or on another one.

But of course in both cases, even if I didn't write it explicitly, it
would
be stupid not to copy/reuse as-is, whenever possible, the configuration
files
from the old installation.

Marco

--