[R] [R-sig-Fedora] Building R-3.2.0 from source.

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Mon May 11 13:07:41 UTC 2015

Rolf,

Just curious, but why do you use F17? The disasters that you anticipate may happen will be more and more likely the longer you wait to upgrade to a new F. (And, with no upgrades of any kind, aren't you on line for a greater disaster: for instance, you are not patched for the severe openssl vulnerability that was discovered and all over the news a year or two ago unless you installed it by hand yourself.)

If on the other hand, you do not want to upgrade as frequently as most of the rest of us here, you should either move to a long-term distribution (such as CentOS or ScientificLinux, which appears to have better support) or to a rolling-release distribution such as ArchLinux (whose installation is, IMO, its Achilles heel so you are better off with ManjaroLinux). With the first set, there also appears to be fewer packages available, but they may be enough for you.

Of course, it would be nicer if there was a rolling-release version of Fedora (precisely for people like you). Rawhide, often offered by some as a rolling-release equivalent, is too unstable to be of value to people who are upgrade-phobic. (Frankly, even I would not touch Rawhide.) Even Windoze is getting rid of upgrades.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

On Mon, 11 May 2015 19:42:53 +1200 Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> On 11/05/15 16:19, Tom Callaway wrote:
> > I just landed in Paris, and haven't read backwards in this thread,
> > but I've done 3.2.0 builds for all current Fedora releases, they're
> > all in updates-testing (I think the Fedora 22 builds are in updates
> > stable now).
> >
> > The thing that changed is that R doesn't bundle a number of libraries
> > like it used to. This doesn't affect the official Fedora R package,
> > since we never used the bundled libraries. This is documented in the
> > 3.2.0 release notes.
> >
> > If you really want to build from source, I think you can run:
> >
> > yum-builddep R
> >
> > That will install all the necessary Build Requires to build R from
> > source. You need to have the yum-utils package installed for that
> > command to exist.
> >
> > Hope that helps.
>
> It certainly did!  Success.  Thank you hugely!
>
> But if I may ask a supplementary question:  You say "If you really want
> to build from source ....".  No, I don't *want* to; I have to.  At least
> in my understanding.  I run the ancient and beyond end-of-life Fedora
> 17.  (I haven't the nerve to try to upgrade; my current system may be
> kludgey, but at least it works.  And I *know* that if I try to upgrade
> all hell will break loose.)  It is my understanding that "current Fedora
> releases" *do not* include Fedora 17.  Or do they?
> If so, how would I get my hands on an R binary for Fedora 17?
>
> That's really just an academic question at present, since I have now
> managed, thanks to your help, to build R 3.2.0 from source.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> cheers,
>
> Rolf Turner

> >> I'm sure I would, but I don't dare.  Everything I see on the Fedora
> >> mailing list fills me with terror in respect of the disasters that can
> >> occur.  I don't have the skills to cope with such disasters and I have
> >> no access to support in respect of Fedora.

> >> Thanks, but I don't think it's any help in my situation.
> >>
> >> I had no problem at all building R 3.1.2 from source.  What changed from
> >> 3.1.2 to 3.2.0 that would cause those undefined reference problems?
> >>
> >> cheers,
> >>
> >> Rolf Turner

> >> --
> >> Technical Editor ANZJS
> >> Department of Statistics
> >> University of Auckland
> >> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276
> >> Home phone: +64-9-480-4619

> --
> Technical Editor ANZJS
> Department of Statistics
> University of Auckland
> Phone: +64-9-373-7599 ext. 88276
> Home phone: +64-9-480-4619

Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.