Biting the bullet?

Heinz Diehl htd+ml at fritha.org
Mon May 11 14:35:11 UTC 2015

On 11.05.2015, Rolf Turner wrote:

> The seeming necessity for upgrading arises from a pressing need to upgrade
> "R" to version 3.2.0.  When I try to build this version I get a load of
> error messages (basically coming from gcc I think) like unto:
>
> >connections.o: In function `gzcon_write':
> >/home/rolf/Desktop/Rinst/R-3.2.0/src/main/connections.c:5469: undefined reference to `deflate'

I'm using R a lot for my work.

Install bzip2 and bzip2-libs. Then, the libs must be compiled after the object
files. Or better, use this one:

Fedora is generally very slow to update R..

I'm on (nearly) bog standard F21, and it compiles cleanly:

R version 3.2.0 (2015-04-16) -- "Full of Ingredients"
Copyright (C) 2015 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
Platform: x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu (64-bit)

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

[Workspace loaded from ~/.RData]

> Given that the answer to my preliminary question is "No", can anyone be so
> kind as to provide me with a *recipe* for upgrading, expressed in
> simple-minded terms that I can understand?  Something of the form:
>
> (1) First, do this.
>
> (2) Second, do something else.
>
> (3) Third .....

1. Download the .src.rpm from the site shown above.
2. Unpack it (rpm -i)
3. Run "rpmbuild -bb R.spec
4. Install/update the respective files
5. Done