Biting the bullet?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 11 15:23:53 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 04:08:23PM +1200, Rolf Turner wrote:
> I am currently running Fedora 17.  Which is of course antediluvian.
> But everything I have seen on this list with respect to upgrading
> terrifies me.  Disasters seem to lurk everywhere and I haven't the
> skills to cope with disasters.  Nor do I have access to any support
> in respect of Fedora.

Disasters are the rare, rare exception, not the norm. You're just more
likely to hear about them, because when things go right, people are
less likely to be asking for help with that.

That said, the least-risky way is to back up all of your important data
and configurations and do a fresh install. That avoids all of the
weirdness that sometimes happens when trying to transform an old system
into a current one.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>