Biting the bullet?

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 16:40:35 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 12:45 AM, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On 2015-05-11 06:08, Rolf Turner wrote:
>> I have finally reached a stage where I may have to bite the bullet,
>> grasp the nettle, screw my courage to the sticking place .... and
>> upgrade my Fedora version.
>> I am currently running Fedora 17.  Which is of course antediluvian.
>
> Hi Rolf, and all. Your email really begs a general question:
>
> WHY upgrade, in a situation like yours? Does it really make sense?
>
> Why not backup everything,
> then completely ERASE the old installation, installing over it
> the current version from SCRATCH, then configure it to work as you need?
>
> Seriously. Wouldn't it be a much more reliable path, and consume much
> less
> time in the end?
>
> I'm interested in everybody's thoughts on this, not just Rolf's.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco
>
> http://mfioretti.com
Well, for one thing, installing from scratch requires possibly a large
number of config files, which would require remembering which ones
they are, search for them in the backup and overwrite the newly installed
config files, or worse: merge them into the new config files, or go through
a painful edit to see what setting from the old make sense in the new,
since not all settings in the old would make sense in the new.

Just my $.02's worth.