Biting the bullet?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon May 11 16:53:37 UTC 2015

> On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 16:33 +0100, Tethys wrote:
>> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Not to be snarky, but if upgrading terrifies you then perhaps Fedora is
>>> not the right distro for your needs. Regular updating is part of the
>>> Fedora mindset. The system is designed to be updated at least once a
>>> year.
>>
>> The problem is that newer versions tend to break everything, which
>> makes for a sucky end user experience. I've been doing this since Red
>> Hat 3.0.3 and up, so it's not as if this is all new to me.
Well, I guess you are aware that RHL/RHEL never supported upgrading? In
Fedora, upgrading is supposed to work.

>> While there
>> has been the odd release with problems over the years, it's largely
>> been a trouble free existence. But that has definitely changed in the
>> last few years. I'm wary of upgrading now, because too much breaks,
>> and no one cares enough to fix it.
 >
> As I said, that is definitely not my experience.
I am only aware about very few such occasions in recent years.

The only major incident I am aware about was UsrMov which occasinally
had caused major damage on upgrades. Later on there had been minor
incidents related to systemd and issues related to Gnome3 on low end HW.

Esp. upgrading 19->20 and 20->21 had been pretty smooth.

With the upcoming fc22, I am expecting dnf to be the #1 epicentre of
future troubles.

> Upgrades rarely break
> anything major and problems with new releases tend to get fixed quickly.
Exactly. I share this experience.

Ralf