WiFi restoration

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue May 12 09:52:06 UTC 2015

Doug wrote:

>> In any case, I managed to see the device's web-page briefly,
>> by switching off WiFi on my laptop, connecting the device
>> to the laptop by ethernet, and changing the laptop's ethernet address
>> to 192.168.10.5 .
>> Now I could see the web-page at 192.168.10.1 for about 30 seconds,
>> before it disappeared and my laptop lost its ethernet IP address
>> (ifconfig just gave an IPv6 address).

> You should be able to access the device over the network in wifi mode
> simply by entering the ip address in the address line of your router.

I get the web-page of my router when I do that.

> In Firefox, it says "Search or enter address" so on that line enter
> 192.168.10.1. That should bring up the range extender.

The repeater is working now.
I just tried reaching 192.168.10.1 under Firefox, and it does not connect.

I'm not clear if the repeater has an IP address once it is working.
If it does, it is not mentioned in "arp -a" or in /var/log/messages .

> Meanwhile, have you looked at the user manual?

I have read it, several times.
It does not mention that you must change your ethernet IP address
to 192.168.10.n.
Its first suggestion, to use WPS, did not work in my case,
possibly because my router's version of WPS, SecureEasySetup,
is incompatible with the repeater's WPS.

> I suggest you print the whole manual out and read it starting
> after all the safety stuff, and then you will be able to use the device
> and know it's working.

I tried all the mechanisms suggested in the manual, and none worked.
If I were writing the manual, I would say on page 1,
"The first step has to be to access the device web-page.
If you aren't able to do this you cannot set up the repeater.
To see the web-page you must set the IP address
of your ethernet interface to 192.168.10.n for some n > 1."

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net