an idea about upgrades

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Tue May 12 18:30:12 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 02:25:30PM -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> jd1008 wrote:
>

> > It would be a great idea if Fedora would provide
> > a way to downgrade to the immediately previous release
> > (from which the upgrade was performed), if the user
> > decides (for some reason) to return to the previous
> > release. This would completely obviate the need to
> > do a backup, and restore - especially for a 1TB or
> > more drives (I have a 4TB drive, for example).
> >
> > Cheers,
> > JD
> >

> I'm hoping that my f22 install into a btrfs subvol will do this for me.
> I'll see what happens when I try it.

well, at the risk of seeming curmudgeonly, I can play Devil's Advocate
and point out that you already have full control over this, all you
gotta do is make a full backup before you do the installation. Use
'dd' to make a bitwise image of the partition (or drive) then if the
updgrade/installation fails, just use 'dd' to pour the bits back in
place.

 :)