an idea about upgrades

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue May 12 23:03:48 UTC 2015

On 05/12/2015 01:41 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/12/2015 01:30 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> Well, I was talking about reinstalling. There is no fedup for that.
>> Folks like the OP on F17 can not fedup (and have to reinstall for an
>> upgrade) from what I understood.
>
> There's always preupgrade.  Unlike fedup, I've never had that fail, and
> would have preferred not to be forced to switch from something that
> always worked to something that always fails on one of my two boxes.

Yes, the OP could preupgrade from F17 to F18. From there I think s/he
could preupgrade to F19. Once there, s/he'd need to fedup to F20, then
fedup to F21.

The important thing here is that a quantum leap from F17 to F21 really
isn't possible. One needs to upgrade one level at a time (there are
times where one could skip a step, but they were usually fraught with
issues). Skipping up four levels:

	a) has never been supported in any standard upgrade mechanism,
	and

	b) there have been a LOT of internal changes that make such
	an upgrade a bad idea.

To do this sort of thing, I'd HIGHLY recommend a full backup and a full
reinstall followed by a restore of the home directories and such the OP
is interested in. Believe me, this will help preserve the OP's sanity.