Biting the bullet?

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Tue May 12 23:25:38 UTC 2015

<snip>
> It's not the upgrading process that's the problem. It's that the newer
> > >software tends to be broken in anything but the default configuration.
> > >I upgraded my girlfriend's desktop to F21 and it's literally unusable
> > >now.
</snip>
I learned a long time ago to not upgrade for at least a month or more
after release so that the initial new bugs are diminished and I've had
time to read the lists for gotchas and difficulties.
In all the years since RedHat 6 I haven't come unstuck this way.
One thing, most noticeable on this list over the years is that some
laptops don't like some parts of Linux. But having said that, running 2
partitions has bailed me out "provided" that grub is not overwritten by
the new install. Word of warning here. Protect grub.
Roger