an idea about upgrades

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed May 13 07:22:15 UTC 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015 11:53:38 -0600, jd1008 wrote:

> It would be a great idea if Fedora would provide
> a way to downgrade to the immediately previous release
> (from which the upgrade was performed), if the user
> decides (for some reason) to return to the previous
> release. This would completely obviate the need to
> do a backup, and restore - especially for a 1TB or
> more drives (I have a 4TB drive, for example).

Most software doesn't look back and only adjusts runtime files to the
new version you run. Not limited to config files and settings, it can
also be a migration to a new storage/database format. Same for RPM
packages. If at all, they contain triggers/scriptlets that move forward.
Downgrades of such packages would be a completely unplanned and
unhandled scenario.