/boot on RAID1 with fedora21

Doug H. fedoraproject.org at wombatz.com
Fri May 15 21:23:03 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-05-15 at 16:34 -0400, Alex Regan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the level of support for RAID1 on /boot? Is it now fully
> supported with fedora21?
>
> In the past, it's had a tendency to always put /boot only on /dev/sda,
> meaning if the first disk dies, the system becomes unable to boot.
>
> Forcing it to be on /dev/md0 or other RAID device has always been
> problematic.

I have no clue on the current state.  I have had this setup for a while
now...

>df |head -1 ; df |grep boot
Filesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1      ext4      579M  125M  413M  24% /bootalt
/dev/sda1      ext4      579M  125M  413M  24% /boot

Everything else is on various raid1 partitions.  The above is kept
identical via a nightly rsync.  The boot block stuff is installed on
both sda & sdb.  And yup, would have to swap positions if sda fails.
Oh, don't forget to raid the swap partition also; you want *everything*
to be able to continue after a drive failure.

--
Doug H.