Is this usb wifi plug supported?

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 03:00:14 UTC 2015

On 05/14/2015 09:04 AM, poma wrote:
> On 14.05.2015 05:09, jd1008 wrote:
>> I am considering buying such a plug.
>> It is described as:
>> Mini AC600 High Performance 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi Wireless USB Adapter
>> Features:
>> 100% Brand New and High Quality
>> This AC600 dual band adapter delivers powerful wireless AC technology to your
>> desktop or notebook computer.
>> Simply plug the adapter into an available USB port and connect to a wireless
>> network to access a secure,high speed internet connection --2.4GHz or 5GHz .
>> And with integrated dual band technology , you’ll have reduced Wi-Fi interference
>> to maximize throughput for faster streaming ,gaming ,and Skype calls .
>> Support 802.11ac standard-- the next generation of wifi.
>> Backward compatible with 802.11 a/b/g/n products.
>> Ultra fast AC600 (433+150Mbps) wireless speed with 802.11 ac.
>> Maximum speed up to 5Ghz 433Mbps or 2.4Ghz 150Mbps.
>> Dual band connections for lag-free HD video streaming and gaming.
>> Easy wireless security encryption at a push of the WPS button.
>>
>> I found it at:
>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-AC600-High-Performance-2-4GHz-5GHz-Dual-Band-WiFi-Wireless-USB-Adapter-D-/231558327591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e9f3ad27
>>
>> Thanx for any helpful info.
>>
> Possible MediaTek MT7610U chipset, as is:
> http://hprath.com/2014/06/cisco-linksys-ae6000-ac580-media-tek-mt7610u-mt7630u-mt7650u-linux-x64-driver-patch/
>
> an if so, it is not an in-tree kernel module, so you can draw your own conclusion.
>
> Rather read this:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2015-January/457791.html
>
> slower than the questionable in practice 5GHz "AC600" , but at least should work
> https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k_htc/devices

The seller finally got back to me:
"Thank you for your email
The product is RT5572 chip
Thank you"

So, web page http://elinux.org/RPi_USB_Wi-Fi_Adapters
says it is supported.
Apparently it is one of the drivers supported by the rt2800usb driver.
In the current updated kernel source, I find it in the file
BUILD/kernel-3.19.fc21/linux-3.19.7-200.fc21.x86_64/drivers/net/wireless/rt2x00/Kconfig

which has the following config line:

config RT2800USB_RT55XX
        bool "rt2800usb - Include support for rt55xx devices (EXPERIMENTAL)"
        ---help---
          This adds support for rt55xx wireless chipset family to the
          rt2800usb driver.
          Supported chips: RT5572

Since it is experimental, I suspect that I will face some problems.