updates broke system, no x, try level 3 but cannot even log in (f20)

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Wed May 20 19:06:31 UTC 2015

On Wed, 20 May 2015 07:55:33 -0800
Antonio Olivares <wingators at inbox.com> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> the title says it all.  running fedora 20 updates I installed are:

[snip]

> Systemd shows some failed services; if I leave graphical screen I get
> Oh no something has gone wrong and it dies off does not go to login
> screen.  When I start by adding a 3 and removing rhgb and quiet I see
> that some new jobs get started and restarting some failed services
> and ..., then I get the login prompt and I type username and it stays
> there no progress.  What happened?  What was wrong with these
> updates?  anybody else have this problem?

I updated my F20 system to the latest updates, and I am typing this
from within X on that system, after a reboot to pick up the new
kernel.  I have no problem switching between consoles and X.

It sounds like a disk with bad reads happening might be a possibility.
Perhaps you should run the smart tools?  Or boot to rescue and run a
file check?