updates broke system, no x, try level 3 but cannot even log in (f20)

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed May 20 19:44:15 UTC 2015

On 05/20/2015 12:33 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> If I leave the boot as normal, I get a "Oh no something has gone wrong" screen and I cannot do anything there change terminals with CTRL+ALT+F(1-N) keys.

That error message is unique to Gnome.  Consider booting to a CLI and
using yum (or dnf) to install a different DE, then reboot and log into
that DE instead.  You'll still be using gdm as your greeter so if you
get that error message before you log in, you'll know that the trouble
is either with gdm itself or one of its dependencies.  If you can log
in, you'll be fairly sure that there's something wrong with Gnome on
your system.  How you track it down and fix it, of course, depends on
just what happens, but this will at least give you a usable system with
a working GUI until things get straightened out.