unable to run e2fsck

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Thu May 21 13:51:44 UTC 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015 09:38:57 +0300
Angelo Moreschini <mrangelo.fedora at gmail.com> wrote:

> What does
> cat /etc/mtab  show?
>
> this is the output :

[snip]

> don't seem me to be /dev/sda2 inside....

You're right, it isn't the rescue holding the partition.
[snip]

> *But perhaps it is a problem that we didn't consider before*:
> the partition /dev/sda2 have other sub partitions and root is inside
> one of them...
>

> This is the result of lsblk command :
>
> root at sysresccd /root %
> * lsblk*NAME            MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
> sda               8:0    0 149.1G  0 disk
> ├─sda1            8:1    0   500M  0 part
> └─sda2            8:2    0 148.6G  0 part
>   ├─fedora-swap 253:0    0     2G  0 lvm
>   ├─fedora-home 253:1    0  96.6G  0 lvm
>   └─fedora-root 253:2    0    50G  0 lvm
> sr0              11:0    1 394.1M  0 rom  /livemnt/boot
> loop0             7:0    0 279.9M  1 loop /livemnt/squashfs
> root at sysresccd /root %
>
> *I am thinking that in this situation   <PERHAPS>    il is not
> possible to work on /dev/sda2 ....*
> perhaps need to work directly on the sub partitions...   <fedora-root
> 253:2    0    50G  0 lvm >
>
> I am not sure but perhaps this can be the problem that fsck doesn't
> work on /dev/sda2....
>
> What do you think about ?

I think you are right.  And once you are talking about lvm, I'm out of
the picture.  I tried it a long time ago, found it solved a problem I
don't have, and complicated things, so I stopped using it.  Someone
else will have to help you with lvm partitions.

Perhaps it is as simple as running the fsck on /dev/mapper/fedora-root,
but that is just a guess on my part.