Replacing laptop cpu

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 17:03:31 UTC 2015

I have an HP laptop with
AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
It is now causing blue screens in windows and freezes
linux (pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live).

I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).

I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
could it be that only one core is causing the problem?

At any rate I wanted to replace it with
AMD Turion II Ultra M660 TMM660DBO23GQ 2.7GHz Dual-Core Mobile CPU
Processor, Socket S1

Will I be running into any problems?
Would the heat be an issue?

These are the full technical data on it:

General information

Type 	CPU / Microprocessor <http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html>
Market segment 	Mobile
Family 	AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile
<http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/TYPE-Turion%20II%20Ultra%20Dual-Core%20Mobile.html>

Model number 	*M660
<http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Turion%20II%20Ultra%20Dual-Core%20Mobile%20M660%20-%20TMM660DBO23GQ.html>*

CPU part number

  * *TMM660DBO23GQ* is an OEM/tray microprocessor

Stepping code 	NAEIC AE
<http://www.cpu-world.com/step_codes/N/NAEIC%20AE.html>
*Frequency*	*2700 MHz*
*Bus speed* 	*One 1800 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport link (3.6 GT/s)*
*Clock multiplier* 	*13.5*
Package 	638-pin lidless organic micro Pin Grid Array (UOL638)
*Socket* 	*Socket S1 (S1g3)*
Architecture / Microarchitecture

Microarchitecture 	K10
Platform 	Tigris
Processor core 	Caspian
Core stepping	DA-C2
CPUID 	100F62
Manufacturing process 	0.045 micron silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology
*Data width* 	*64 bit*
*The number of cores* 	*2*
*The number of threads* 	*2*
Floating Point Unit 	Integrated, 128-bit wide
Level 1 cache size	2 x 64 KB 2-way set associative instruction caches
2 x 64 KB 2-way set associative data caches
*Level 2 cache size*	*2 x 1 MB 16-way set associative caches*
*Level 3 cache size* 	*None*
Multiprocessing 	Uniprocessor
Features

  * MMX instructions
  * Extensions to MMX
  * 3DNow! technology
  * Extensions to 3DNow!
  * SSE / Streaming SIMD Extensions
  * SSE2 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 2
  * SSE3 / Streaming SIMD Extensions 3
  * SSE4a
  * AMD64 / AMD 64-bit technology
  * EVP / Enhanced Virus Protection
  * AMD-V / AMD Virtualization technology

Low power features 	PowerNow! 2.0
Integrated peripherals / components

Integrated graphics 	None
Memory controller 	The number of controllers: 1
Memory channels: 2
Channel width (bits): 64
Supported memory: DDR2-800
Maximum memory bandwidth (GB/s): 12.8
Other peripherals 	HyperTransport technology 3.0
Electrical / Thermal parameters

*Thermal Design Power* 	*35 Watt*