Replacing laptop cpu

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 24 19:51:41 UTC 2015

On 05/24/2015 12:49 PM, Ronal B Morse wrote:
> On 05/23/2015 11:03 AM, jd1008 wrote:
>> I have an HP laptop with
>> AMD Turion II X2 mobile processor RM-72 / 2.1 GHz CPU, Socket S1.
>> It is now causing blue screens in windows and freezes
>> linux (pclinuxos, knoppix, fedora live).
>>
>> I have run the x86 mem test for more than a day, and
>> found no problems with the 4GB ram (2GB X 2).
>>
>> I am wondering why the memtest does not freeze????
>> could it be that only one core is causing the problem?
>>
> I think an earlier poster in this thread (Vacelaevus) might have
> identified a likely problem.
>
> A few years ago there were a number of HP laptops sold with defective
> G8400/G8600 series nVidia graphics chips...out of spec solder or
> something as I recall. The symptoms were as you described...the
> machine would work normally for a period of time and then unexpectedly
> blue-screen, especially under heavy load. In some cases the problem
> occurred only intermittently. In some cases, the machine would appear
> to work normally after they had been allowed to cool down.
>
> In your specific case, memtest doesn't put a very heavy load on the
> GPU, so it may not have warmed up sufficiently for the problem to
> manifest.
>
> If your laptop has an nVIdia G8400/G8600/G9200/G9400 series GPU it is
> highly likely that is the cause of the problem and replacing the CPU
> will not help. The only recourse is to replace the entire motherboard
> as the GPU is not user replaceable.
>
> The HP customer service website for your model laptop may contain
> additional information.
>
> RBM
But this machine had been working for years without this recent issue.
So, I kind of dounbt it he the graphics chip issue.
It's history included the death of the cpu cooling fan, which I replaced.
The laptop belonged to a friend at the time. She sent it to me to fix.
I replaced the cooling fan with an identical one specified by the same
manufacturer and model number on the dead fan.

After fan replacement, it started having this intermittent problem.
So, I am led to strongly suspect that overheating may have caused
the problem before I even put in the new fan.