Replacing laptop cpu

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Mon May 25 04:22:38 UTC 2015

On 05/24/2015 02:51 PM, jd1008 wrote:
<<>>

> But this machine had been working for years without this recent
> issue. So, I kind of dounbt it he the graphics chip issue. It's
> history included the death of the cpu cooling fan, which I replaced.
> The laptop belonged to a friend at the time. She sent it to me to
> fix. I replaced the cooling fan with an identical one specified by
> the same manufacturer and model number on the dead fan.
>
> After fan replacement, it started having this intermittent problem.
> So, I am led to strongly suspect that overheating may have caused
> the problem before I even put in the new fan.
.
before replacing or installing newer cpu, do what has already
been mentioned.

clean away old thermal paste, apply fresh _white_ *high temp*
thermal paste.

_do_not_ use a clear paste. clear does not give needed transfer.

as for installing newer type cpu, contact AMD support. who would
know better? ;-)

to find out if cpu is causing problem, use this script;

   #!/bin/sh
   while true ; do
     sensors >> ~/00-check-sensors
     sleep 600 ## set sleep period to an interval of your choice.
   done

when system locks up again, open "00-check-sensors" to see history
for temps and fans.

years back, i had a 586 system locking up. running above script
showed memory fan was slowing down. replaced fan, problem ended.

--

peace out.

If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...
 ...oh, wait. He does. THAT explains it!

CentOS GNU/Linux 6.6

tc,hago.

.