Replacing laptop cpu

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 25 05:40:26 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-05-24 at 23:22 -0500, g wrote:
> before replacing or installing newer cpu, do what has already
> been mentioned.
>
> clean away old thermal paste, apply fresh _white_ *high temp*
> thermal paste.

Even just mucking about with the fan (poking things about without
removing it) can disrupt how well a heatsink is pressing against a CPU
(with heatsink compound between them).  It dries out, over time.

A smooth, thin, consistent layer of compound should be spread over the
entire surface that mates with the heatsink, as per the instructions
that the compound should provide.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.5-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 20:28:39 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.