Replacing laptop cpu

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 25 05:46:18 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-05-24 at 11:23 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> Ever since mobos have had built-in clocks, they've been designed to
> start running slow when the battery gets low so that you know it needs
> changing.

I wonder if they've actually be designed to that, or people have just
observed that behaviour, and made an assumption.  I've certainly fixed
up a PC with a new battery, one that exhibited no clock problems.  The
battery was definitely low, resetting the BIOS parameters didn't help,
replacing the battery did.

In this day and age you'd expect that there ought to be a positively
identifiable alert that the battery was going flat, such as a message
saying the CMOS/BIOS battery needs replacing.  One that the BIOS
displays while booting, and another that the OS displays while running.
It's arcane knowledge that a clock might be off because of a battery on
a mains powered PC, not one that the general public would be expected to
know about.  And I wouldn't put it past some people, with prompting from
a vendor, about a PC going wonky, to replace the whole machine instead
of the battery.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.5-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 20:28:39 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.