Fedora 22 is here!

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue May 26 20:36:07 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 01:05:38PM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/26/2015 12:27 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> >IIRC yum used to be recommended before fedup came along. In any case
> >I've just upgraded with fedup and it worked again as it has for the
> >last 4 or 5 upgrades.
>
> Before there was the aptly-named fedup, there was preupgrade, which worked
> just fine for me.  Before that, the recommended upgrade was backup,
> reinstall and restore.  Yes, there was yum upgrade, but it was very, very
> Not Recommended.  Now, there's also the unofficial upgrade-fedora, and I'll
> be trying on this box Real Soon Now.

Well, my first preupgrade experience was okayish, but I was also very
new to linux then.  However by the time preupgrade had resolved its
issues, I had already moved on to yum.  I just find it a bit surprising
that it is not *one of* the supported methods (meaning, QA tested),
specially since it works so reliably and with such short downtime.

--
Suvayu