Replacing laptop cpu

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 27 07:13:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-05-26 at 11:33 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I thought that crystal oscillators were used for the same reason
> musicians use tuning forks: it doesn't matter how hard you hit them,
> you always get the same frequency.

They hum (the ringing after the blow) on pitch, for a prolonged period.
But you wouldn't use the initial strike, or rely on them as it's on the
verge of petering out.

Stringed instruments go flat (slightly) after the initial strike.  And
they should be tuned for how you play them.  If you play hard, then you
need to tune them while plucking the string strongly.  If you play
gentle, you need to tune them that way, too.  In neither case, pluck the
string once and fiddle with tuning while it simply rings.  I'd expect
the same for any mechanically vibrating musical instrument, particularly
ones with large parts.

There's a tension change with a strong initial strike or pluck, that
changes the pitch.  You can google how to properly tune a guitar to read
more about this (e.g. from recording studio techs), and see demo videos.

I would expect a similar thing with a tuning fork.  However, as they're
designed as a tuning tool, the settling period is probably so much
faster that you're not going to strike it as a problem (pun intended).

Even crystal controlled things do go off pitch, for unknown reasons.
I've certainly heard my (over-computerised) organ falter in the middle
of playing.  But without having a multimeter handy at the time, I
couldn't tell if it was due to a mains brown out or an internal fault.

We now return you to your regular programming...

--
tim at localhost ~]All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.