F22: XFCE issues

Marco Guazzone marco.guazzone at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:43:26 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:

> This may be because you had the kernel-debug packages installed before
> for some reason?

I think not. I installed F22 workstation, then I run "yum update"
(which translated into "dnf update") and finally I installed XFCE with
the above command

> If you 'dnf remove kernel-debug\*' does it also want to remove
> NetworkManager-l2tp?

Yes, it does. It also removed libreswan xl2tpd

>> For the gnome-shell issue, I confirm I still use GDM (like I did in
>> F21). From GDM I choose the XFCE session.
>> This is branch of processes that are children of GDM:
>
> Thats completely normal. gdm is basically a special gnome-shell
> session. So, yes, it runs gnome-shell. This has nothing to do with
> Xfce, it's just that gdm runs this way.

But this has changed since F21. I'm pretty sure that in F21 the use of
GDM did not lead to the execution of gnome-shell under XFCE (not even
under MATE and CINNAMON, all of those started from GDM)
To me, it looks like a bug (not necessarily of XFCE, say of F22)-

> If you don't want that, switch to lightdm.
>
> dnf install lightdm
> systemctl enable lightdm --force

OK! Thank you so much for the hint

Cheers,