F22: XFCE issues

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 28 02:01:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, 27 May 2015 23:43:26 +0200
Marco Guazzone <marco.guazzone at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:30 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>
> > This may be because you had the kernel-debug packages installed
> > before for some reason?
> >
> I think not. I installed F22 workstation, then I run "yum update"
> (which translated into "dnf update") and finally I installed XFCE with
> the above command

The workstation image uses gdm as it's display manager.

...snip...

> But this has changed since F21. I'm pretty sure that in F21 the use of
> GDM did not lead to the execution of gnome-shell under XFCE (not even
> under MATE and CINNAMON, all of those started from GDM)

The gnome-shell is not 'under Xfce'. Its the way gdm works.

It was definitely still the case in Fedora 21. ;)

> To me, it looks like a bug (not necessarily of XFCE, say of F22)-

Not really, it's just the way gdm works these days.

It makes some amount of sense development wise.
If the gdm login screen is just a special gnome-shell mode you use the
same code for handling power and sound and accessability and so forth
that a real gnome-shell session has instead of duplicating it in gdm.

kevin