2 part question

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 28 15:55:09 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 11:39 -0400, Kevin Cummings wrote:
> On 05/28/2015 10:52 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 02:20:25PM +0530, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> > > Why isn't fedup shipped by default in all Fedora installs?
> >
> > When it's time to upgrade, you want to make sure to have the latest
> > version anyway. Why ship it when it, by definition, won't be used
> > for
> > the life of that installation?
>
> OK, let me get this straight.  You don't originally get it.  When it
> comes time to use it, its not there.  The user must now install it.
>  The
> user then uses it to upgrade to the next release.  Now, it is there.
>  It
> gets updated during the course of the use of the next release.  Now,
> when it is time to go to the *next* new release, it is there and
> already
> updated from any/all updates performed just prior to the 2nd upgrade.
>
> Seems like silly reasoning to me.  Why not just install it, so that
> it
> gets updated during the normal lifetime of that release, so that when
> it
> comes time to upgrade to the next release, it is already there and
> updated?

Perhaps because (IIRC) in the past people have been told to get the
latest fedup from updates-testing before upgrading their system,
something that not everyone does for their regular updates. Shipping it
by default should never preclude getting the latest one since not
everyone does regular updates anyway.

poc