What Seriously Ails Fedora

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu May 28 19:36:00 UTC 2015

On Thu, 28 May 2015 11:26:12 -0600
jd1008 <jd1008 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One of the reasons why users wince at the prospect of upgrading is the
> numerous problems being encountered.

Well, lots and lots of people aren't having any problems at all too.

Of course no matter how we strive there's not going to be any solution
thats 100%.

> Some of these problems seem to stem from the fact that not all
> installed rpms of the current release (let's say 21) are made
> available in f22.

That is not the case. All packages are available in Fedora 22 repos
that are still active and maintained.

Now, some of those packages may have '.fc21' in their filenames because
they were not rebuilt in the Fedora 22 cycle, but they are there in the
Fedora 22 repos, have no broken dependencies and should work fine.
If they do not, it's a bug on that package.

> Now the user mosies on thinking all is well. Until some updates come
> up later which will prevent those updates from being installed,because
> of the dependencies of packages installed in the previous release upon
> packages which are still of the previous release vintage. As you all
> know, the dependencies do not satisfy the requirements of only one
> package, but possibly of several other packages. Thus the update of
> certain dependencies will fail because a remnant or remnants from the
> previous release has/have no presence in the new release's repo.

Before Fedora 22 was released all packages with broken dependencies
were fixed or retired/removed. It's part of the release process now.
When released, there were no known broken dependencies.

> So, I am wondering if the thought has even crossed the minds of the
> fedora project architects/managers/directors to properly address this
> issue.

It has been addressed.

Perhaps you can further describe the issue(s) you ran into and we can
figure out how they happened?

kevin