What Seriously Ails Fedora

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri May 29 06:27:31 UTC 2015

On 05/28/2015 05:26 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Listed? Where? And again, why obligated?

In the package itself.  Back when I first installed an nVidia card,
akmod-nvidia depended on kernel-devel (or maybe kernel-headers; I forget
which) but that wasn't part of the rpm's list of dependencies.  You just
had to know that it needed to be installed, or find somebody who knew
about it.  That, at least, is no longer an issue, although it remained
that way over several versions of Fedora.  I don't know why it happened,
or why it took so long to correct, but it's hard to see how anybody
other than the package's maintainers were responsible for the issue.
Personally, I consider that making sure that the list of dependencies
for a package is correct is part of keeping that package current, so I
consider that the maintainer is obliged to deal with such things as part
of their job because I can't see how anybody else could reasonably be
expected to do it for them.