F22 'who' reports 0 users

Christopher Ross fdra6390 at tebibyte.org
Fri May 29 08:31:52 UTC 2015

On 28/05/15 09:52, Christopher Ross wrote:
> On 28/05/15 09:15, Ed Greshko wrote:

[... snip ...]

>>> Yes. Although this is upgraded from F21 (using the target "nonproduct").
>>>
>> Yes, that is what you'll see.  Not a bug, a feature.  :-) :-)
>>
> How could that possibly be considered a feature?

That's some brokenness, this has worked properly since the '60s!
If this is to be the new normal, what is the proper way now to find out
whether anyone is currently logged in and using the system? I have a
number of scripts that rely on this.

A purely practical, real world example has just arisen. On my Fedora 21
box a yum update has just pulled in a new kernel and nVidia drivers,
which mean a reboot when convenient. Now is convenient for me, but
typing "who" reveals that I am not alone, so I should schedule it for later.

Chris R.